Tuesday 28 November 2023
The Stone Carbon Calculator
10:00 - 10:25 Carbon Management
- This talk introduces an easy-to-use calculator which calculates the approximate embodied carbon per tonne of dimension stone (sandstone and granite).
- This calculator covers product life cycle stages A1 (extraction) to A4 (delivery to site).
- It is intended for local authorities, designers, specifiers, procurement professionals, the construction industry, heritage sector and anyone else with an interest.
- To find out more and download a copy visit https://www.engineshed.scot/calculate-the-carbon-footprint-of-your-stone-project/
- The calculator was Funded by Zero Waste Scotland and developed in partnership with Historic Environment Scotland.
Queensferry Crossing Cable Cleaning
10:25 - 10:50 Asset Management
- A look at the problem of ice accretion on cable-stayed structures and the mitigation measures being adopted, with specific reference to the work completed to date for Queensferry Crossing.
- A focus on the scheme that was created to implement targeted cleaning of the stay cables to reduce the build-up of dirt and debris as one measure to deter ice accumulating on the stay cables.
- Present detail the specialist equipment used to clean the cables (supplied and operated by VSL).
- Discuss access strategy, risk, safety, and challenges during the cleaning process.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the cleaning regime and look ahead at future strategy.
Cleveland Bridge in Bath: Artificial Intelligence and Monitoring of a Complex Structure
10:50 - 11:15 Bridge Inspections and Assessments
- Concerns over the structural integrity of Cleveland Bridge in Bath arose due to section loss on corroded steel hanger bars.
- AI powered analysis of displacements and strains provides confidence in understanding the structure’s operational behaviour.
- Load testing allowed the distribution of forces across the supports to be evaluated under a range of load configurations.
Exhibition & Networking
11:15 - 11:45
Replacement of the A77 Carlock Wall
11:45 - 12:10 Construction
- Background to the replacement of this rural structure
- Challenges encountered during the construction of this scheme
- Smart detailing and refined improvements to provide enhanced quality
5,000t Ravenscraig Rail Bridge Installation
12:10 - 12:35 Construction
- Project Overview
- Options Selection & Early Development
- Design Development
- Temporary Works and Permanent Works Integration
- Offline Construction, Advance Works & 9 Day Blockade Works
12:35 - 14:00
Transport Scotland’s Approach to Climate Change Adaptation & Resilience
14:00 - 14:25 Adaptation to Climate Change Resilience
- Reviewing the overarching climate change adaptation policy landscape.
- Assessing the climate impacts affecting bridges.
- Discussing the ACCAR policy document, which outlines the key climate risks affecting Scotland’s transport system and sets out our strategic outcomes for Road, Rail, Aviation and Maritime transport networks.
PAS 2080 and Bridges
14:25 - 14:50 Carbon Management
- Refresh and update on the Net Zero Bridges Group, including our working groups and guidance.
- Summary of the new PAS 2080 and the key requirements for bridge practitioners in terms of carbon management.
- What does applying PAS 2080 mean for bridges and what is actually additional to regular good practice in engineering?
Designing with Carbon Consciousness Bridge Substructure and Wingwalls
14:50 - 15:15 Carbon Management
- This presentation is about how preliminary design choices influence the embodied carbon of bridges.
- Jimmy Barratt-Thorne will present his work as part of his dissertation from the University of Cambridge.
- Using a case study of a single-span integral bridge he compares how differing substructure choices from PD 6694 influence embodied carbon, and what conditions provide an optimal solution.
- Nick Fenwick will present a study that looks into wingwall efficiency, looking at how the embodied carbon differs depending on the orientation of the wingwall with respect to the bridge, as well as how different materials such as reinforced soils can contribute to carbon efficiency.
Exhibition & Networking
15:15 - 15:45
15:45 - 16:15
- The ever-popular Bridges Scotland Ten/20 format returns, where exhibitors and public sector bodies can submit an emerging project or other bright idea for consideration by our panel of experts hosted by Donald MacPherson, Chair of the Bridges Group of The Society of Chief Officers of Transportation in Scotland.
- Those chosen will get to deliver their message in a quick-fire presentation: ten slides which automatically progress every 20 seconds!
16:30 - 17:30
Held in the main hall.
Wednesday 29 November 2023
Existing vs Emerging Scour Monitoring Methods
10:00 - 10:25 Scour Bridge Inspections and Assessments
- Review of the main types of scour.
- Indirect vs direct monitoring.
- Discussing the ongoing development of a new scour prediction model.
A702 Westwater Bridge Emergency Scour Remediation
10:25 - 10:50 Scour Bridge Inspections and Assessments
- Summary of the significant scour damage caused to a 190-year-old masonry arch bridge in January 2023.
- BEAR’s response to the emergency situation and restoring the bridge’s load carrying capacity.
- Future plans to protect the bridge from scour events.
The Repair and Refurbishment of the Union Chain Bridge
10:50 - 11:15 Repair and Refurbishment
- Opened in 1820 the Union Chain Bridge was the longest wrought iron vehicular suspension bridge in the world when it opened.
- This presentation discusses challenges associated with the refurbishment of this historic structure being carried out by the Spencer Group.
Exhibition & Networking
11:15 - 11:45
Building a Sustainable World K-Briq by K-Briq
11:45 - 12:10 Construction Carbon Management
- With increasing mandated targets and ESG objectives demanding buildings and infrastructure be built within low carbon emissions thresholds, hear how circular economy principals are being applied to create sustainable low-carbon building bricks which can perform technically like traditional clay or concrete bricks but which use recycled waste materials and a novel low energy production methodology to create low carbon alternatives.
Bracklinn Falls Footbridge: Modular by Necessity
12:10 - 12:35 Design Construction
- A modular construction in a difficult to access site
- A sustainable long-life construction in a harsh environment
- An aesthetic design in a stunning National Park setting
- An award winning low-cost community asset
12:35 - 14:00
Embedding Carbon Management on the Cross Tay Link Road through Design and Construction
14:00 - 14:25 Carbon Management
- Embedding PAS 2080 on CTLR
- Overview of Carbon Targets identified during the tender phase
- How we realised those carbon reductions during the design & construction
- Carbon results achieved
Bridges Assets Management: the Current Challenges and Future Developments
14:25 - 14:50 Carbon Management Asset Management
- Summary of the current methods, policies, tools and activities relating to lifecycle planning of highway structures.
- Details of the current challenges that clients are facing when implementing current asset management processes.
- An overview of how carbon calculations can be included into the decision support tools.
- The potential benefits of modelling whole life carbon for evidencing and achieving appropriate investment in renewals.
Scotland's First FRP Bridge Redecking
14:50 - 15:15 Repair and Refurbishment
- Discussing the redecking of a 30m-span bridge across a steep-sided gorge on the outskirts of Edinburgh using FRP and rPET technology, marking the first project of its kind in Scotland.
- With a 120-year design life, the new Lifespan FRP deck was designed to conform with a spec supplied by Mott MacDonald and supplied in five sections and mechanically fixed onto the existing longitudinal beams.